Saturday, January 29, 2011

Blacker Than My Heart

After hours of researching how to go blonde, I came to the sad realization it wasn't going to happen. Besides being time-consuming and expensive, the universal consensus on black-to-blonde transitions is that it completely, irreversibly buttfucks your hair. The texture can become straw-like or even worse, like stretched out gum. As much as I'd love to wake up to platinum hair on my pillow, I'd rather it still be attached to my head.

So I decided on the next best thing and ventured out to find The Blackest Black hair dye. Upon reading countless message threads, there was a debate between Feria "Black Leather" or "Blue Black." I have tried Feria before and found that it fades very quickly. I liked the deep conditioner included; it left my hair very soft. But I seem to recall 2 weeks of purple bath water before my hair regressed into a dull black.

One recommendation pointed to Bigen Oriental Black, a powder-based dye that used no hydrogen peroxide or ammonia. This piqued my interest. I loved the weird outdated packaging and that evidently this Japanese brand had been around for over a hundred years. Plus, it's endorsed by a geisha!

I walked to the nearest beauty supply store and bought a box for $6. After covering my kitchen floor in towels and chip-clipping a towel around my neck, I started with my roots. I was surprised to realize the dye had a really pleasant smell. The lack of chemicals made a huge impact on the aroma, which was kind of like flowers.

The mixture from one box was pretty spare and I had to double-up the water measurement to cover my whole head (I strongly recommend 2 boxes if you have anything longer than a pixie cut). It was a little runny, but not debilitatingly so and it got the job done.

After rinsing it out, I soaked my hair in conditioner for 10 minutes to ensure everything was kosher. The result? A beautiful, rich Joan fucking Jett black. I'm very pleased. It came out VERY dark, which is exactly what I wanted. This is the first day so I'm curious to see how it holds up after a few washes. I may buy another box for a touch-up since I was really stretching that single bottle.

As I'm writing this, it's suddenly occurring to me I should have taken before and after shots. What the fuck is the point of a hair dye blog without photos?! Sorry chickadees. I'll take some early next week.

*UPDATE*

Voila! The new color. Blacker than a night at the Apollo.

- Sabrina London