Saturday, April 24, 2010

Style Secret: Hair Styling

Hair brings one's self-image into focus; it is vanity's proving ground. Hair is terribly personal, a tangle of mysterious prejudices. ~Shana Alexander

I am on the quest for creativity in styling but if there is one thing I am not creative enough, that is my hair. I wear my long hair almost always Jennifer Aniston’s style and occasionally, collect it in a pony if the weather is ridiculously hot. Otherwise, I don’t really have any idea how to style my hair.

World+Premiere+Disney+Enchanted+Arrivals+ryf9wPLtJU_l
Carrie Underwood

I envy women who are skilled in styling their hair all by themselves. I believe it is not an easy task, expertise aside. I also admire women who are daring enough to try different hair styles, long or short, straight or curly. Much more lovely are women who loves dying their hair and trying on red hair, blond or brunette. And guess what extremely makes me gravely envious about these women is the fact that they always look good. It is sad because that is just not the case for everyone.

48bfbc2af218156efd025a7bd63a2487.wix_mp

I believe that there is more than just bravery in styling your hair. The nature of the hair itself is a factor. Is the hair naturally straight or curly? Is the hair thick or thin? Your face structure is another factor. Sometimes, no matter how you’d love to wear bangs, it just doesn’t fit you. Do you have very curly hair? Forget about bangs. There are times that you just want to go girly and carefree so that you wish you could collect all hair in a pony tail. But then you have wide forehead with a very high hairline, you don’t really want to display that much forehead so you rather forget about it too. But hey, maybe you can actually go on pony but just leave some lock hanging down your face?

Every factor that contributes to a good hairstyle is essential for your prom party. Going to a prom is not just all about prom dresses and prom shoes; it is most importantly about prom hair. I remembered very well when I went to my first prom. I had this very pretty mini dress that mom bought for me. I found a pair of silver princess shoes that went perfectly with the dress. To complete the look, I went to a hair dresser who promised the world to make me the most elegant girl with the best hair in the party in exchange for a good fortune [at least it was a fortune for a young girl]. When the hair was done, I looked like a female version of a male transvestites only that a lot less pretty. My dad was not impressed. Right now, whenever I need to have my hair done for a dinner or a formal party, I make sure that I check Beauty on IVillage for suggested hair dos. I choose which I believe would work for me, print the photo and show it to the hair dresser. Most of the time, a photo works better in giving instructions.

Do tell me girls, what are your style secrets when it comes to hair styling?