Friday, February 18, 2011

Bright Side List

On Wednesday night, I couldn't sleep and found myself poking around online, reading articles about my favorite improv comedians. At around 4 AM, I went to bed and the next morning when I woke up, my MacBook Pro was dead.

Like most exits in Los Angeles, it came out of no where. I opened my laptop and waited, but nothing happened. When I attempted a hard reboot, the chimes were absent and the LCD screen remained black, empty, still. I whipped out my iPhone and began self-diagnosing with trembling thumbs, only to learned it was probably the RAM card or my logic board. How did this happen? One night, you're reading about comedy and the next day, you're lugging a 20 pound backpack to Melrose Mac on Highland.

Oh yeah. About that. The same day my Mac died, our car died too.

It was thoroughly traumatic, leaving my precious 'puter in the hands of a perfect stranger, who wouldn't have answers till Monday. What's worse, all the items I photographed for the store this week were on that computer. So in addition to shelling out for the repair, I won't get paid next week.

On my way back home, I ate some Greek food at Daphne's Cafe and piddled around ULTA for a while. What a crap day. My husband called to let me know the car repairs came out to $1,400 if we were feeling fancy. It was that or take the bus. We opted for 2 of the 3 repairs that seemed the most life-threatening ("5% breaks left" might alarm the bravest of frugal daredevils).

My husband is up for a raise this month, so things could definitely be worse. But I feel like there's a 2008 MacBook shaped hole in my heart. Right now, I'm using Sean's work PC netbook and it's very foreign. Again, could be worse, but a girl's allowed to wallow.

Okay, time to make a "Bright Side" list.

* Sean and I enrolled in classes at the Upright Citizen's Brigade, following in the footsteps of some of the world's greatest comedic minds. I'm super stoked to be even remotely associated with UCB. It's the Harvard of comedy.

* After 7 months, my couch-crashing brother found his own apartment, which means put a sock on the door because the husband and I aren't leaving these quarters for a fortnight.

* I've never believed in the mystical powers of womens' "face cream" - it always sounded like a fancy way of describing moisturizer. But in spite of my skepticism, I bought a tub of L'Oreal Youth Code Day/Night Cream. I'm just supremely curious what the hell face cream does, mostly. Harvard of face cream? I'll let you know.

* It's raining. I've got the apartment to myself and a little chihuahua puppy cuddling nearby. That means it's tea and magazine time.

xo,
Sabrina London