Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Confessions of a shopaholic: I'm a shopaholic no more, and so I thought

"Have you seen the movie “Confessions of a Shopaholic”? Oh, I can so relate to this movie. I used to be a shopaholic. I used to be on a time when nothing mattered much to me but getting a new dress, some new shoes, new jeans, and new bags. Nothing mattered but to go out and shop.


Who wouldn't want to shop? Isn't it a great stress reliever? It was making me feel like I'm in control. The feeling that I could afford to go fancy and stylish. Whenever I walk inside a mall, try on some chic clothes and shoes, run to the counter to pay, 'twas always heavenly.


And take note, they all had to be branded, A labeled. Well, I wasn’t speaking Prada, Gucci, Armani, Fendi or other high-end brands because during the time, when I was still in college and within the first two years of working, those brands were simply beyond reach. However, I was speaking of brands like Lee, Adidas, Levi's and some top local brands such as Sara lee, Avon, Natasha and others. That line of Rebecca Bloomwood “underwears are human rights” was very true to me. I collected not just a few but quite a number of fancy and expensive underwears – panties and bras, and they were an obsession. Every morning, after I do my bed, I would sit in front of my closet looking at my expensive clothes and bags hanging neatly in my closet, all my shoes stuck at the corner of my room and all my underwears piled neatly in the drawer, admiring them.


And just like Rebecca, no matter how I wanted to manage my money well, no matter how I wanted to save, no matter how I wanted not to shop, whenever some fabulous finds grab my attention, I would have to get them for whatever it takes. My head spins round and round, my heart beats fast and my hands and feet sweat. Any inch of rationalism is gone.


And still, just like Rebecca, no matter how stylish and pretty she appears not to mention rich-looking, there was no peace inside. There was no feeling of contentment. The word "enough" was unknown. There was always the craving for more, and still more.


But unlike Rebecca, when she had to be embarrassed to the whole world, sued and chased for all her debit overdues and to almost lose the love of her life just to get over her uncontrollable shopaholism, I had to be alone in a foreign land, I had to be admitted for an emergency surgery for appendectomy without money, just to make me realize something was wrong. [This event happened five years back]

For three days that I was in the hospital recovering, I was reading a book. It was the book that completely changed me. The book that made me rich - "Rich dad, poor dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. It's all about what the rich teach their kids that the poor do not. It has changed my perspective towards shopping and financial management.

Lucky Rebecca and me, we got over our being a shopaholic.


For a note on my shopping, the desire to shop more is there. It does not go away. It's in the blood of all female, I guess. However, I am now in control. I only shop if needed and if I do shop, I am more practical.

These two knitted sweaters are a new add to my wardrobe. They are fancy but also very functional, multi-purpose.


What about you girls? What are your thoughts on shopping?

Photos from google